Senior Software Engineer (Healthcare Data)
We’re looking for a seasoned software engineer to help lead our data product and infrastructure efforts. At Amino, our goal is to provide everyone with access to clear information that lets them make confident decisions about their health.
As a senior software engineer, you’ll be responsible for solving large, open-ended problems and providing technical leadership across our data stack. As a generalist contributor on the Data Infrastructure team, you will collaborate with product managers, data scientists, designers, and engineers to help us make sense of a huge mass and variety of data, in order to help us to increase healthcare transparency, lower costs, and improve outcomes.
Impact you will have:
- You’ll build and maintain a first-class data infrastructure, that supports a continuous delivery of data from many disparate sources to serve a wide-variety of analytical and product needs.
- You’ll influence the fundamentals of how we model and warehouse data that is accessed by teams across the company.
- You'll strongly influence the direction of the Data Infrastructure technical roadmap, including large technology choices for how we work with batch and stream data sources.
What you will do:
- Collaborate with a data-focused Product Manager to identify, evaluate, and execute on the highest-impact ways that we can improve the coverage and accuracy of our data products.
- Lead the way in refining the conceptual model for Amino’s entities, and storage patterns and policies for interacting with them.
- Work closely with the Data Science team to define new entities, relationships, and insights, and help define technical patterns for how we bridge the gap from initial analyses in notebooks to reliable and automatic production processes.
- Collaborate with team members in Data Science, Product Engineering, Marketing, and Leadership to help understand and support their needs.
- Act as a domain lead to mentor your colleagues about best data practices and patterns.
- You will work with the following technologies (experience with them all is not necessary, but you should be interested in using or learning them): Python 3.6, Scientific Python, Jupyter; Snowflake, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Redis; AWS, Terraform, Kinesis, S3, RDS, Elasticache, Lambda, Cloudwatch Logs; Git, Docker, Jenkins CI/CD; Spark, Databricks.
Projects you might work on:
- Re-architect the primitives and processes that make up our ETL pipelines.
- Coordinate with new and existing vendors of healthcare metadata (claims, doctors, facilities, insurance networks) to spec out, evaluate, and integrate new data sources.
- Collaborate with the Data Science team to redefine how we model and think about healthcare facilities (Hospitals and Hospital groups, Imaging Centers, Urgent Care, Ambulatory Surgery Centers).
- Tune and operationalize our healthcare cost statistical and machine learning models.
- Greenfield new projects with processing streaming analytics data from our banking and transparency products.
- Evaluate and prototype different tools for data pipeline automation and workflow management (Airflow, Luigi, Pachyderm, etc).
Skills and experience you possess:
- You’re experienced with and have a strong understanding of a variety of relational and non-relational databases. (We primarily use Snowflake, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, and Redis.)
- You are very comfortable writing clean, well-tested code in Python.
- You are well-versed in data warehousing best practices.
- You have designed, developed, refined, and tuned production data pipelines.
- You have experience reconciling many heterogeneous data sources into a set of clean, well-reasoned model of entities and relationships.
- You have experience handling and working with large datasets and the tools to manage them.
- You have strong analytical abilities and experience exploring and gaining mastery over unfamiliar datasets.
- You value and practice collaboration and feedback. You question and seek feedback on your own work and opinions.
- Your documentation and verbal communication skills are excellent. You can communicate technical vision in clear terms to your peers as well as outside of the engineering team.
We are a small team who believes that success is a group activity. You should expect to learn from everyone at Amino, and be excited to share your knowledge. You will play a big part in influencing the shape of the product and the technology we use, and will be empowered to make technical decisions and trade-off calls between scrappy ship-it pragmatism and the long-term maintainability of your code.
We believe in collaboration, respect, and curiosity. We believe in having a growth mindset, and have a passion for solving problems that have never been faced before. Everyone’s input is valued, be it about code, data models, business models, or product ideas.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We know the reputation and track record that the tech industry has, and work hard to be exceptional in this regard.
Want to learn more?
- Take a peek into our talent culture and recruiting process.
- Read note from our Head of Engineering on the people-centric processes we have adopted.
- Read about our Ethics.
- Check out our reviews on Glassdoor.
- Check to see if you know an Amino teammate on LinkedIn.
- To get a sampling of the sort of data and analyses we work with, check out some of our data storytelling: